minutes 5.9.19

Minutes of Sport Richmond Exec Meeting Held at York House, 5th September 2019

Present: Andy Sutch, Chris Jones, Ken Chivers, Kevin Rice, Frances Wetherall

Apologies: Trevor Wetherall, Jimmy Wallace

  1. Recent Activity

a/ overview: Good attendance at meetings but limited day to day engagement, EG very few items submitted for website or social media. Vacancy for Secretary and media to be circulated to clubs ahead of both the safeguarding meeting and AGM. Will be 2 separate posts, possibly with a set term tenure to encourage more interest. A clearer indication of commitment/meetings also to be publicised. RCVS and St Marys to also to be approached re the media post (Andy to initiate). Also funding for improving digital media to be investigated. Some work on same sport meetings ongoing. Tennis already beginning to do this.

b/ Club Development Work: Kevin reported that having a single point of contact had been a big asset. Clubs informed October 2018 and 25 responded and priorities were established. Main areas were facilities, funding, floodlighting and community use

  • Knights Basketball looking for a permanent home
  • Richmond Baseball hoping to expand and improve existing facilities (2 diamonds to 3)
  • Football pitch issues for local clubs. Bushey Park one area. FA working on their local football facilities plan. Chris and Kevin have both contributed to this but no report published as yet.
  • Advice give as to how to start a project, finding funding sources

Currently 6 projects rolling into the future

Clubs currently dealing with the birthrate ‘bulge’ in the population which has caused some issues for schools in the past

U3A were looking to find a site within the borough for petanque but have had to relocate out of borough (although it was mentioned in one of the new architects plans for the Twickenham Riverside Development)

The development post confirmed to remain in place until the end of the financial year.

c/ Safeguarding session with Kingston on 14th October at RFU. Invitations to all clubs but only 10 responses so far. Very important that all clubs have adequate controls in place. The long-term benefit to clubs is huge. It was noted that the trial with Teddington Hockey club had ended because of GDPR issues which are, hopefully, now resolved. Also that several NGB’s, including gymnastics, have taken over the registration of participants from the clubs.

  1. Financial Position

a/ Ken presented the accounts (copy attached) which showed that the £4000 grant from LB Richmond had been received. The use of the development fund in a match funding situation was discussed and agreed in principal once the cultural strategy is published.

b/ a new athlete grant was approved (Karate)

  1. Report from LBRuT

Chris reported that the borough had come 4th in both the London Youth Games (1 point behind third) and the mini marathon. Both really good results.

Cricket – 2 strips in Old Deer Parka and one in Moormead have been upgraded

RISE ongoing

Tennis courts are now all gate access. Funds generated being used for refurbishment and upgrading. Currently 652 seniors and 758 juniors registered.

A weight loss programme will be starting soon in partnership with public health in Teddington Sports Centre

  1. AOB
  • Mortlake Brewery – Andy has responded to planning re the sports facilities, these are scheduled for phase 3 which is a concern.
  • Richmond Adult College – pitch has not been started nor the all weather floodlit pitch.
  • Udney Park – grounds have been maintained by the developer to date and the cricket club have been using the site. Planning has been refused and will be going out for re-consultation. Sport England view this a overdevelopment and Sport Richmond are supporting this view but are aware that use by sports clubs may be at risk if plans are completely rejected because of the financial commitment by the developers.
  • There is a potential loss of cricket facilities at St Mary’s during their redevelopment as the number of students taken part is very limited (largely due to summer term times)
  • Community use of academies needs to be monitored.

Open Meeting Minutes 14.06.2018

Minutes of Sport Richmond Open Meeting held at Richmond Athletic Association on Tuesday 14th June 2018

Present: Andy Sutch, Chris Jones, Kevin Rice, Jimmy Wallace, Frank Perry, Frances Wetherall, J F Burford, Peter Mutton, Neil Guilder, Sarah Sinclair, Salme Naylor, Joe Clark, Marie Curry, Richard Hackwell, Sian Hardy, Luke Edgcombe, Tim Chadwick, G Sharma, John Dilley, Lorraine Moore, Jenny George, High Whelan, A M Smallden, George Parmiter, Louise Oldfield

Apologies: Ken Chivers, Trevor Wetherall, Colin Sinclair, Dave Palowski, Kieran Pierce, Katie Pearce, Tony Waszkiewicz, George Crowe, Richard Wood

  1. Welcome and Introductions. Andy welcomed everyone to the meeting, especially those who had not attended before and thanked Jimmy Wallace and the RAA for their hospitality. He extended apologies from Katie Pearce of the Jack Petchey Foundation who was unable to attend but information about the foundation was available and she hoped to attend a future meeting. He introduced Chris Jones (Sports Development and Partnership Manager) and thanked him for the work done on sport in the borough. He also thanked Sport Richmond (SR) secretary Frances Wetherall for her work and committee member Kevin Rice who has been contacting clubs in the borough to confirm we have the correct details.
  2. Report since last open meeting. There have been several changes including a change in the political administration of the borough and the ending of the current community plan. It is important that voluntary clubs have a voice into the drafting of the next community plan. Future funding for Sport Richmond is looking hopeful and the work done by voluntary clubs (alongside Chris and his team and the dual use facilities) in helping Richmond to retain its position towards the top of the Active People listings is valued. Richmond has also maintained a strong position in the multi sports London Youth Games (LYG). Important, however, not to become complacent as more needs to be done. Key issues remain linked to planning. Defending and improving existing facilities, floodlighting and change of use from retail to sport being the main areas of interest.
  3. The accounts were presented in Ken Chivers absence and Andy noted that the late payment of the grant had implications on spending. He explained the background to two additional amounts – Badminton fund, held for badminton sport and the Olympic Legacy Fund available for projects in the borough. A question from the NPL bowls club regarding the small amounts involved and the exact purpose of Sport Richmond led to the next item on the agenda
  4. Supporting the voluntary sector Andy responded by noting that across the country local government spending on sport had been greatly reduced since 2012 and along with this was a reduction in staffing and expertise. He referred to a draft statement of the aims and objectives of Sport Richmond (copy attached)
  • Aims to add value to facilities
  • Provide advice and expertise in a range of areas
  • Provide a stronger voice for individual clubs and groups of clubs
  • Linking clubs together to provide a stronger voice

At the moment SR is a forum for the sports and, over time, has developed partnerships with St Mary’s, RAA and the RFU.

It is hoped to employ a facility development expert on a part time basis to extend the level of advice available to clubs to help them with specific projects either in the early stages or when problems are met along the way. Several clubs do have issues and this role may help. Also will be able to help with strategic applications for funding

The main change in administration has been the working with Wandsworth which has differing needs and organisation.

Funding cuts now mean that there is less money available to the 2 boroughs than there had been for 1 in the past.

Other achievements in the borough are the dual use facilities in many of the schools and the high quality parks with sports facilities which are generally well maintained EG Christs School has been funded externally to support a new cricket facility in partnership with Richmond Cricket Club and SR.

Funding is always a key issue with clubs – a recent national survey showed that most voluntary sports clubs were operating just in the black. A quick survey of the room confirmed that most clubs were in the same position but only just and this has implications for the expansion and development of the clubs so limits growth. Particularly vulnerable to this is the development of disability sport which can be expensive.

Volunteering is another area of concern. Many of those running clubs also want to participate in the sport. It has been established nationally that there are a large number of young volunteers (through schools and youth groups) and a large number of older volunteers. However, there is a gap in the middle age group which is a concern as the established volunteers become older. Richmond Council for Voluntary Service  www.richmondcvs.org.uk can be a good source. A digital framework to support clubs in their running is being trialled at the moment and 4 clubs in the borough have expressed an interest. Also being trialled is a safeguarding programme. Training is also available online through Kingston and Richmond Local Children Safeguarding Board (LSCB) http://kingstonandrichmondlscb.org.uk/training.php it is also hoped to set up a specific meeting for clubs safeguarding officers later this year, probably September

Performance is also important. Much is known about the health and welfare benefits of sport and SR is keen to support this although our key target is the sports participation itself and excellence is part of that.  SR has a small amount of money used to support talented young athletes before they achieve regional or national funding. This scheme has been very successful and it is hoped to allocate more money to a wider range of sports in the future. Application forms are on the website www.sportrichmond.org

Chris Jones then spoke about his role in the borough and how the strong partnership with the voluntary clubs was key. LYG a major event for the borough as all London Boroughs take part this is important. Richmond has been in the top 4 for the last 10 years.

Another success is the borough RISE (Richmond Inclusive Sport and Exercise) programme which has focused on basketball, dance and swimming with strong partnerships with clubs and a pathway to performance. Richmond won the Boccia tournament at the LYG. The latest club survey showed that many clubs would like more training to work with disabled or recovering individuals. If your club is interested in being part of this then contact Chris c.jones@richmond.gov.uk

The Community Levy Fund (previously CIL or village planning fund) has just completed the second round of awards. In the first round Richmond Gymnastics Association, Twickenham & Brunswick Club and Twickenham Cricket Club were all successful. In the second round, 10 out of the 28 applications were successful and 3 were sports clubs. Greycourt Community Sports Centre, Hampton St Marys and Teddington Cricket Club. This is an ongoing fund set up in geographical clusters so the amount available to each area will depend on the development in that area. Clubs interested should contact Chris directly. It was also noted that Teddington are being charged the London Levy on their development by the Mayor of London while receiving a grant through Richmond. There are several other sources of funding which are available to sports clubs

  1. General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) please read through the attached document
  2. AOB

The meeting was then opened for discussion.

NPL Bowls Club asked if Richmond had any input into developing football pitches in the borough. Chris responded by saying that there was a good record with artificial pitches at all centres in the borough part funded by the Football Foundation in partnership with SR. Also important to maintain strong links with the FA to ensure that when capital is shared Richmond is included. Andy commented on his role within the Playing Fields Association and said that often the cost of maintaining pitches is difficult to sustain. There are some good grass pitches in the borough but also some very poor ones. Sadly in the future many local authorities will not be able to afford to maintain such facilities. Athletics is in a similar position where the income does not support the facility. All weather pitches can solve some of these issues but they are expensive and need to be used extensively which often means they need floodlighting to be economically viable. This has its own issues and often will not extend beyond 9pm. Twickenham Tennis Club is currently applying for floodlighting but is meeting objections from local residents. It is a private club with strong links to the neighbouring school so a well used facility.

A question was put about the many small spaces (eg on primary school sites) which could be used more. Key questions being have we got enough grass? Could we make it work better?

The German School recently opened a very high quality sports hall which was totally funded by the school and the German Government. They are very keen to encourage community use and have a manager in place to help facilitate this. In other situations without such personnel the negotiations re the facilities and equipment can be challenging. Multi sport centres or multi club centres (such as NPL) have specific strengths but also specific issues to contend with. Clubs working within the Royal Parks have different issues again and SR can help with discussions if required.

Andy then asked the meeting for their main areas of concern

  1. Facilities some rented some owned                          8
  2. Volunteers/coaches 2
  3. Funding 6

Any views should be sent to SR through secretary@sportrichmond.org

We are working hard to maintain links with as many voluntary clubs in the borough as we can so clubs are invited to pass information onto colleagues in non attending clubs.

It was noted that 4 women from Cambridge Park Bowls Club were currently competing abroad as part of the GB National team in a major international. Clubs were made aware of our website www.sportrichmod.org and our Facebook page and encouraged to either post directly or send articles and promotional flyers to SR (secretary@sportrichmond.org) to add.

 

The meeting closed at 8.30

 

 

Minutes of the steering group meeting to update the constitution of Sport Richmond

Minutes of the steering group meeting to update the constitution of Sport Richmond

York House 02.05.2018

Present: Andy Sutch, Ken Chivers, Kevin Rice, Frances Wetherall

Apologies: Chris Jones

 

Two responses to planning applications to be submitted by Andy this week

  1. Stag Brewery. Default objection to the loss of sporting facilities. Planning includes a sport hall, synthetic pitch (floodlit) and multi games area (linked to the school). Community use for all will be sought as the school will be an academy. The plans do not meet the needs of the football clubs, cricket has not used the site for at least 5 years.
  2. Tennis lighting in Twickenham. Main issue is that if there is no lighting there will be no adult use in the winter months in the evenings.

Andy reported on a recent meeting with David Allister where the £4,000 funding was confirmed. It was also noted that there will be changes next year but as a group Sport Richmond is delivering well. The Community Plan is due for renewal later this year and Sport Richmond will contribute to this and how we can support its aims. The next open meeting in June will be an opportunity to collect ideas from members to feed back.

There are around 180 sports clubs in the borough of which 56 engage actively with Sport Richmond. Many are operating successfully but some may not be. Kevin has undertaken to obtain an up to date club list from the borough and to assess which clubs might not be aware of Sport Richmond and how we can engage them.

The constitution was then discussed and an amended version (changes highlighted) attached for your comments the original can be found on the website.

 

Minutes 16.01.18

Minutes of Sport Richmond Open Meeting held at Putney Town Rowing Club on Tuesday 16th January 2018.

Present: Andy Sutch, Chris Jones, Ken Chivers, Frances Wetherall, Trevor Wetherall, Elizabeth Major, David Rijvers, Kevin Rice, Jimmy Wallace, Peter Jones, Nicky Linihan, Philip Jeffcock, Kevin O’Donnell, Mike Lightfoot, Kieron Price, David Fox, Hugh Howell, J F Burford, Karen Duane, Gareth Jones, Richard Roberts, Matt Rees, James Merchant, Neil Guilder, Alan Plumb, George Crowe, Peter Eaton, Ken Bailey

Apologies: Michael Chaffe, Helen Shanks, Gariesh Sharma, Daphne Wharton, Kate Maurici

Andy welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked Peter Jones and Putney Town Rowing Club for hosting. This club is a great example of the voluntary sports clubs in the borough that have grown and developed and contributed to keeping Richmond borough at the top of the active people standings. A great strength is the link between the borough and the voluntary clubs, something Sport Richmond is keen to support alongside growing capacity.

Elizabeth Major, Safeguarding Officer, in Richmond and Kingston was welcomed to the meeting. Safeguarding is a major issue in sport at the moment and a survey in the north west has recently shown that up to 4% of young people have had an issue. Her presentation and some important contact details are attached as separate documents.

The whole purpose is to ensure that the voluntary sector does the best we can to protect children and vulnerable adults. Sports clubs have contact with large numbers of families and are in a key position to see issues. Sports coaches and volunteers may notice bruising or other behavioural concerns. There is free training for clubs and volunteers on the website http://kingstonandrichmondlscb.org.uk/training.php

There is also support for policies and procedures in clubs. Of the 40,000 children in Richmond only a small number are identified as being at risk (150 in foster care, 130 at risk in family home). There may also be a concern re a coach or volunteer within the club. NSPCC – CSPU provide support for this. Clubs should have an up to date safeguarding policy and code of conduct. Also it is recommended that clubs have 2 trained safeguarding officers.

The Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) will help any organisation who have to deal with an allegation. The LADO can help clubs by taking the lead in any investigation – disciplinary, police involvement, malicious accusation. It is vital that all incidents are recorded and shared with the safeguarding officer. Important that the voice of the child is heard. Health issues are also important and there is a scheme to have more defibrillators available for use. Details on the attached document.

Questions were then invited from the floor –

  1. If we receive an allegation who should be contacted SPA or governing body which could be quite a distance away? Should contact both at the same time
  2. What about clubs with no juniors but vulnerable adults? Same procedure but a different contact number
  3. How different is this to ClubMark requirements? Will it involve a lot more work? The existing policy should be fine (check it is up to date) but add the local contact details
  4. How do clubs access the free training? All information online as are some of the courses Self assessment procedure also to help clubs quality assure and make sure there are policies in place http://kingstonandrichmondlscb.org.uk/training.php
  5. What if the child lives out of borough? The borough in which the domestic address is situated will need to be contacted if there is a concern about issues outside the club. If the concern is within the club then the SPA team need to be contacted.

Too Too sport is an initiative trialled in the NW which has a platform which enables young people or others to flag safeguarding issues on a confidential basis It is planef to trial in our area. In the first year about 80 young people were flagged up. Works especially well if the club has a large number of young people and many coaches. Provides an inexpensive safety net. Concerns are logged anonymously through a dedicated URL and only the safeguarding officer would know. Any clubs who would be interested in taking part should contact Andy Sutch directly andy.sutch@btinternet.com

Support for Sport

A London Sport initiative which grew out of work done at St Marys and Harlequins Foundation. Provides club support and brings together online information that clubs need to function. Relatively straightforward set of basic information, easily assimilated, on a range of subjects. It tries to flag up seasonally so off pitch issues can be dealt with at less busy times. There are about 160  voluntary clubs in Richmond and yet only 20 are represented at this meeting. Issue in reaching less proactive clubs and ensuring they receive the same support. For the small clubs where a single person has most of the responsibility this could provide valuable support. It is hoped to pilot this in the area and a sponsor has indicated that they would like to support this. Clubs could link together to share expertise either by same sport, shared facility or geographical location. Several clubs indicated that would like to be involved in this and will discuss further. Teddington Watersports Centre, Teddington Cricket Club, Richmond Volleyball Club, Barnes Common Cricket Club. Any other club that is interested should contact Andy Sutch  andy.sutch@btinternet.com

Village Planning Fund

Chris Jones, Sport Development and Partnership Officer for Richmond and Wandsworth explained that the amalgamation of the 2 boroughs had not yet had a significant impact on grassroots sport as the 2 boroughs operate in different ways. Wandsworth facilities being run externally with contracts in place until 2019 and 2021 whilst Richmond’s are borough run. It is anticipated that once the contracts end there will be significant change although nothing known for sure

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) was launched in June 2017. The borough can reinvest the funds in the area to offset the impact of the development. 3 sports clubs benefitted directly in the first round

£100,000 Richmond Gymnastic Association (Details later in the minutes)

£20,000 Twickenham Cricket Club

£30,000 Twickenham Brunswick

Also £20,000 to Radnor Gardens Café which will have an indirect impact on local clubs

Currently an evaluation is being completed prior to the 2nd round starting in February (ends April). There is less money this time and more awareness of the scheme so may be more difficult to be successful.

Every new development will generate new funding. Clusters of areas put together for bidding and allocation of funds

  • Infrastructure and community
  • Supporting the development of an area
  • Increase capacity
  • Repair failing facilities
  • Environmental issues, community buildings

Chris and Andy are both happy to help with any applications clubs wish to make and Richmond RVS are running courses to help.

 

Andy introduced Philip Jeffcock from Richmond Gymnastic Association who explained how they had made their application.

  • Don’t be subtle or scared of selling your club. The CIL website is very helpful.
  • The funds are allocated based on match funding but this can be in time and local expertise as well as cash.
  • Important that your application fits in with the plan. Emphasise how the development has affected your club. EG more residents creating increased demand for places.
  • Funding is for capital development and clubs must have a sustainable business plan.
  • Applications need to be supported by 2 ward councillors
  • Minimum amount is £5000 (projects below this should use Civic Pride Fund)

This is a good source for the first level of funding (many other sources require clubs to already have a large percentage of the funding in place)

Andy noted that the fund was about both growth and sustainability.

It was noted that some clubs had been charged CIL for their development. This was not Richmond CIL which does not apply to sports clubs but the London Mayors CIL which does unless they have charitable status. As most clubs now prefer CASC status this has created a problem which needs to be looked into.

Not much money coming to grass roots sport from the mayor. Some to major events.

Nicky Linihan – there is a calculator which can be used to work out the value of volunteer’s time towards the match funding. The village plans are on the website and constantly updated. www.richmond.gov.uk/myrichmond/village_plans/village_planning_fund

www.richmond.gov.uk/media/14257/village_planning_fund_information_pack.pdf

Chris will ensure that clubs are kept up to date with developments.

Andy reminded the meeting that Sport Richmond still has a limited supply of funds for athlete  grants (those with potential but not on NGB funding) and equipment loans. Forms are available to download from our website www.sportrichmond.org

London Plan

Andy reported that it had taken 18 months to get the draft plan and that the deadline for responses was 2nd March.

  • Pushing residential development out to suburbs
  • Sport does not feature as a central theme. Some valuable points about preserving green belt and metropolitan open land.
  • Important for boroughs to have their own plan for sport and recreation.
  • No reflection of the pan London need for sport although it does recognise that ‘just over the border’ is important. No overall strategic plan.
  • Wider benefits of sport not looked at.

Sport Richmond will respond and clubs are invited to make their own responses. Facilities within the borough are of value to many people from outside the borough and it is important that this is acknowledged.

An analysis of the London Plan is attached.

Feb 2nd is the deadline for the local plan. Much development happening or in planning stages including Mortlake Brewery site where 800 (previously 1000) units are proposed. There is inclusion of the ‘reprovisioning’ of the sports field but as this is a good facility used by Barnes Eagles and with the increase demand from  the new housing it is hoped to keep the existing facility.

It was noted that as more of the available land is used for housing there is less and less for sports club development. Andy will draft a response including the importance of

  • Keeping healthy
  • Avoiding isolation

Both have an economic impact as the LA will not need to support individuals to the same level.

Cultural Diversity

London Sport are running a workshop in York House on Wednesday 24th Jan. Start at 6.30pm. Cost is £5 refundable within 7 days of successful attendance contact Chris Jones if you are interested c.jones@richmond.gov.uk

It has been established within cricket that in the borough young south Asian cricketers are a growing section.

AOB

Data Protection

Changes come into place on !st April. Some concerns expressed re lack of information coming from NGB’s. One of the main changes which could impact on clubs is the use of photos where it needs to be an opt in for use rather than an opt out as in the past.

 

The meeting closed at 8.50